Quick Links: | Certificate Responsibility | Role of the NBTA | Benefits | Who Can help You? |
| Minimum Requirements | Certification Path | FAQ's | Forms |

Requirements for a Teaching Certificate in New Brunswick:

The Department of Education has determined the following requirements for the granting of an initial Teacher's Certificate.

    A 60 credit hour Education Program including the practicum (45 credit hours in Education coursework plus practicum), and a total of 168 credit hours from all university coursework.

Additional Requirements: an endorsement and major in Elementary Education require coursework in: Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Health, Physical Education, Art, and Music.

For Secondary Education, a major in a Teachable subject is required. (Click here for a list of "Teachables" as designated by the NB Department of Education.

Major/Minors are calculated using 30:0 and 24:18 ratios. If you do not have a minor in a teachable subject of at least 18 credit hours, the major must have a minimum of 30 credit hours. If you have a minor, the major needs to be at least 24 credit hours. For example, if you have 30 cr hrs of Math courses, you have a major in math and do not require a minor. If you only had 24 cr hrs of Math, this would still give you a major but you would need a minor in another subject, say Physics, which would require 18 cr hrs in that subject.

Will a BEd from any NB university qualify me to teach here or do I need to be concerned that my program will be 'short' credits?

The BEd degree granting institutions in NB work closely with the NB Office of Teacher Certification and are fully aware of the requirements for licensing. In many cases, the OTC will send a representative to speak to your class. You should not need to worry about your degree fulfilling the requirements unless you have deviated in some way from the prescribed program of studies. However, it is always wise to confirm with a faculty advisor and track your transcript carefully. Note the number of required credit hours and the mandatory completion of a practicum. You will not be granted a teacher's certificate in NB without these.

University of Maine, Presque Isle (UMPI) graduates are also qualified to teach in NB, provided they have followed a program of studies that meets the NB requirements. The onus is on you, the student, to ensure that you have the minimum requirements. Remember: you must become certified in Maine first before applying for Certification here in NB.

Are these requirements the same as for all other Canadian provinces?

Each Canadian province has its own set of requirements for a teacher's certificate. While the registrars for the respective provinces do often collaborate, there are some differences in the required credit hours and/or subject specificity. For example, to teach Elementary Ed in NB you must have a Music credit and a Phys Ed credit. This is not the case in all other provinces , so teachers who have received their BEd in another jurisdiction often are required by the office of Teacher Certification to acquire these credits before they are eligible for a permanent certificate.

If you choose an Education Program outside of New Brunswick, you will need to be certified in that jurisdiction before being eligible in this province, and initially you will be applying for an "Interim Teacher's Certificate." This "Interim Teacher's Certificate" is valid for 4 years and can be converted to a permanent Teacher's Certificate following 2 years of successful teaching in New Brunswick public schools and any other conditions that may be prescribed, such as the additional credit courses necessary to meet the NB requirements.

What do I do when I have finished my degree and want to become certified?

Click here for the Application for Initial Teacher Certification (In province). Complete the form and send it with the indicated fee, to the Office of Teacher Certification. Directions accompany the form.

If you have received your BEd from a province other than New Brunswick, you will need the Out of Province Application and Information or the Out of Country Application and Information.

What do I do if I want to teach in another province?

You must first become certified in the province in which you received your BEd. (this is the case for ALL provinces). Once you have received your certification from the New Brunswick Office of Teacher Certification, you may apply for a teaching certificate in any of the other provinces. Unfortunately, you must apply to each individually.

The following links may be of assistance:

You may also be asked for a Letter or Statement of Professional Standing. This is an official document from your licensing office that verifies you are in good standing in this province and that your licence or credentials have not been revoked. The Application for Letter/Statement of Professional Standing can be downloaded here.

I already have an MEd but my undergrad is a BA (or BSc). Can I teach in New Brunswick?

You cannot become a certified teacher or hold a permanent teaching position in NB without a Bachelor of Education degree.

There are rare cases where if a District has advertised for a qualified teacher and has been unable to fulfill a position, the District may offer a contract position to an unlicensed teacher. That teacher may be granted an Interim Certificate and will be required to fulfill the requirements for a BEd within a prescribed period.

Note: This is a very rare occurrence and usually only applies in highly specialized fields where qualified certified teachers are difficult to access.

Once I have my teaching certificate, how to I go about finding jobs?

Certification of teachers in NB is the responsibility of the province, but hiring is a district responsibility. Each of the Anglophone and Francophone School Districts post positions on their respective websites and in local and provincial newspapers. Applications must be made for these individual positions. For a list of websites for NB School Districts, click here: http://www.gnb.ca/0000/web/web-e.asp

Can I have previous experience (teaching or otherwise) credited toward my certification in any way?

The only qualifications that count toward your teaching certification are courses as outlined in this document.

However, you can apply to have previous teaching experience or related work experience considered for Salary Purposes. This means that your starting salary may be fixed further up the salary grid steps for years of experience. If your experience is actual teaching in a Canadian public school or an overseas or private school using Canadian Curriculum, these years may be given full credit as years of experience. You must provide supporting documentation from your previous employers.

If you have experience that is not teaching, but is related in some way (i.e full time work at a Boys and Girls Club, or working with Educational Programs in a Museum etc) this work will be considered and evaluated by the Office of Teacher Certification, and half credit (usually to a maximum of two years) may be granted. This is a good boost to your starting salary. (remember, these are not pensionable years, just experience that puts you up the salary grid).

You may download the Application for Evaluation of Work Experience from this site.

Note: There are two deadline dates for this application: October 31 (your salary may be backdated to September) or March 31( for backdating salary to January 2). Even if you do not have all the supporting documentation on hand, make sure the OTC has your application form by these dates. The Office fax is 1-506-453-5349.

The Profession
Professional Learning
EECD/NBTA Educational Improvement Grants
Teacher Awards
Atlantic Education Resource Person Database
Early Career Teachers

Supply Teachers

NBTA Deadlines and Important Dates
School Calendar
2020-2021 NBTA Planning Calendar
Teacher Certification

Johnson Insurance
NBTA Credit Union
NBTA YouTube Videos
NBTA Branch Manual
Code of Professional Conduct
Members Handbook
Latest Issue
General Information
Printing Schedule
Ad Specifications
Previous Issues